Friday, November 18, 2011

New Bob

As we wrapped up our regular weekly rehearsal on a Tuesday night last April, Bob Greaves leaned back in his chair and told us in a cool, matter-of-fact manner that he would be leaving the band as of July 31st. I felt as though we had been struck by a bomb - no fiery explosion, but the smoky aftermath where I'm left to look around and think what the hell just happened? It had to be a joke. Or I had somehow misunderstood. Could he really be willing to walk away after all the work we had put into this project over the past three years? We had been more than a band. We were a family. This was as if dad had waited until the dinner plates were scraped clean to tell us that he was leaving home to live with a girlfriend who we didn’t know existed. During the next few months Phil, Mike and I went through the normal stages of grieving: denial (especially Phil, who had several subsequent conversations with Bob and who just couldn’t seem to let go) and anger (especially me, I was pissed) followed by acceptance (me again - I tend to get things off my chest and move on).

Unsure whether we should go on or break up, I put the word out that we were looking for a new lead guitarist. The response was underwhelming. However, after a couple of auditions, we found someone with potential to be a good fit for the group, - over 50, familiar with 60s music, competent player, acceptable personality. So we asked him to join. After our second rehearsal, he e-mailed me to say he was leaving. Too much stress, too much new material to learn, too many outside distractions. We re-opened auditions. A week or two later, I received another e-mail from this guy. “Have you found anyone yet?” He was interested again, so we brought him back for the next rehearsal. A few days later, a third e-mail announcing another change of mind - he was out. Again. (He would write once more to ask if I would consider having him back for round three, but I politely refused).

Two more auditions would follow. In the meantime I had to find someone to cover for an upcoming performance at the Chris Thater Memorial, a nationally recognized bike race and DWI awareness benefit held each year at Binghamton's Rec Park. I called my former guitar teacher, Bob Becker, and he agreed to sit in for the event. After our first couple of practice sessions with him, we knew we had found the right match. We asked Bob Becker to join the band but we could not convince him to commit.

After the Rec Park job was over, he surprised me (pleasantly) by agreeing to take over as Reprise 60s' new lead guitarist. We’ve been rehearsing for several weeks now and Phil, Mike and I are extremely happy with our new sound.

But there's bonus we hadn't anticipated when we began our search. We can slip up and call "new" Bob by our former guitarist's name and he won't even notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment